Sunday 27 May 2012

Forgotten by Cat Patrick

I hate to say it, but I did not like this book. The main character, London Lane, had a rare condition in which every morning at 4.33 am, her mind resets and she can remember nothing of the past twenty four hours. She can, however, remember her future (ignoring the fact that the solutions to this giant problem that London used were unrealistic, and boiling down to it the whole idea is unrealistic in that it would be very hard to live a normal life like that, you've got to admit it sounds kind of interesting). There was a lot of potential here, and the book started well, despite giving the reader little introduction to what was happening to London. I was interested in what the author was going to do with such an interesting character. Unfortunately, she didn't do anything as brilliant as I'd hoped. She made a romance. This was fine at first. It was sweet and fluffy and borderline interesting. I figured it would be a story line that was just introducing us to the way London worked, soon to back off to allow for a more exciting story line. It did this eventually, but about 75% of the book was wasted on romance by the time it did. It was an awful waste. The second story line (I won't give anything away) could have been very interesting. But instead, it was rushed, unexplained and unfinished. It was sort of a "Oh yes, and this happens, but I don't have enough book time left so I'll squish it in at the end". Also, it didn't really...end. Just as it got most interesting, the book finished, and we were suddenly in an epilogue. I assumed that the story lines would be resolved there, which I was willing to grudgingly accept, but alas, no such luck. The short epilogue quickly brushed very important things aside and went back to how lovely the romance was however many years on. Fin. There were a lot of other things left unresolved as well. For example, a collection of things that London 'remembers' are going to happen that never do, or conflicts suddenly becoming resolved in bizarre ways. I didn't like this book, though from reading online reviews I see that lots of young adult fiction readers disagree. I suppose if you like romance and/or don't have a lot of expectations, maybe it could be a good book. I don't know, it wasn't for me, and I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment