Thursday 10 May 2012

The (Unofficial) Hunger Games Companion by Lois Gresh

Okay, I know that this isn't a stand alone book, but it links in with my last review, and I have some opinions.

Basically, this book (by Lois H. Gresh) offers an outside opinion to the book series 'The Hunger  Games'. It was not what I was expecting, but I managed with that. To be honest, the book is basically one big essay. This isn't the problem, since I didn't mind the layout or formality. I also didn't mind how opinionated it was, despite disagreeing with some of them. Well, actually I did mind in some respects. Having read the book, I have to wonder how well Gresh understood the original novels: she frequently refers to Katniss as a "sweet", "innocent" young girl, which for anyone who has read the Hunger Games, seems like a very misguided opinion. Gresh seems to have read Katniss as a flawless, tragic yet friendly teenager who wouldn't hurt a fly: obviously the fact that Katniss broke the law daily, had a short temper and didn't like making friends made no impact on Gresh. Also, considering the point of the 'Companion' was to offer opinion, it seems silly that whenever Gresh pointed out a mistake or something that was not logical, she would rush to assure that reader that the novels were still amazing and that readers can ignore any mistake because of the beautiful characters and interesting plot.

The 'Companion' isn't bad. It just wasn't all that amazing. It was a real mixture of interesting insights and extras, combined with a whole load of over admiration and naive opinions. If I were you, I wouldn't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment