Wednesday 23 May 2012

Jane Austen Stole My Boyfriend by Cora Harrison

This book is the sequel to Jane Austen Is My Best Friend, but I think it can cope fairly well as a stand-alone.

The book is set in the 1700s, following the life of a young Jane Austen via the journal of her best friend Jenny Cooper. It was undeniably cute, and I liked the period aspect. It was fun and pretty and enjoyable. Romantic, even.

This book I think was a bit young for me. Of course there were conflicts but some seemed trivial and never came to any sort of climax. For example, a number of people received anonymous letters being mean about Jane, but this story was essentially brushed under the carpet when Jane stated she knew who they were from. After that, there was no word of this.
Not to mention the terribly rushed ending. I must admit I was a bit surprised when a potential plot changer was introduced in the closing few pages of the book. Within about two pages though, the whole thing was resolved in time for the happy ending.
Maybe I'm just too old for the book. I brought it at the beginning of last summer when had I book token for special school contribution or something, and thought the pretty hardback would look nice when presented. I had also read the first book, and recognized the author, so thought I might as well try it. My reading tastes have just changed.

Basically, it wasn't strong enough for me, as someone who likes angst. That doesn't mean to say though, that it was a bad book. If you like romance and sweetness, read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment