Tuesday 15 May 2012

Matched by Ally Condie

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I read it because a website recommended it to me as a book to read after The Hunger Games, and despite the fact that there are follow ups (or maybe just one) I have only read the first.

I won't say I didn't like it, because I did. There were parts that were very nice to read, sweet and light hearted (particularly after The Hunger Games) and I generally love the futuristic civilization sub category of fiction anyway. What I was particularly fond of was how the ideas of the new regime in Matched made sense - I could envision the events actually taking place in accordance with today's situation.

I felt that parts of the story line, notably some points near the beginning, seemed a little forced. They didn't flow quite right, or didn't feel natural. I also feel that a bit more detail about the characters (the main character, Cassia, included) would have given the book a whole lot more meaning. To me, the most meaningful character was Ky, a mysterious and increasingly interesting boy. I would have connected more with Cassia, as well as some of the other main characters if I knew more than what Condie told me.

I'm torn. The book was good, and I enjoyed reading it. But I still haven't made up my mind whether or not to read the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment